Ingredients for 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) boneless, skinless,
- chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 cup (130 g) 3 tbsp. Welna Tempura Batter Mix
- Tempurako, divided
- 1 cup (216 g) vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
For the marinade:
- 1 cup (240 ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. sriracha, or more, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- To make the marinade, whisk together chicken broth, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, orange zest, sriracha, ginger and white pepper in a large bowl.
- In a gallon size plastic bag or large bowl, combine chicken and 2/3 cup of the marinade and let them stand for at least 30 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons Welna Tempura Batter Mix combined with 3 tablespoons water, add to remaining marinade and mix well. Heat the mixture in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Keep stirring and bring to boil and cook until thickened about 1-2 minutes, keep warm.
- Drain and discard the excess marinade liquid from the chicken. Dredge the chicken with 1 cup of Welna Tempura Batter Mix, shake off the excess Welna Tempura Batter Mix.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Working in batches, add chicken and fry until golden brown and cook through, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Toss or drizzle with the marinade, garnished with sesame seeds and green onion,
if desired. Serve immediately.